Saturday, February 14, 2009

Is Wheat the Problem?

I've been having some stomach pains lately after I eat. Really bad stomach pains that start about 5-15 minutes after I eat and stay for a couple of hours. I've been trying to keep track of what I've eaten when my tummy starts hurting and I've come to the conclusion that it's food that contains wheat. Breads, pasta, tortillas, baked goods... all those carbs that I absolutely LOVE! I've done some research and I think I may have developed a wheat intolerance. And it absolutely sucks! I've decided to lay off the wheat products for a week or so and see if my stomach issues go away. That's going to be really hard. But I'm up for a challenge. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a doctors appointment in a week or so, so I'll talk to her about this too.

Does anyone else have an issue like this that they've dealt with? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Juice said...

I dealt with some pretty severe food intolerances a few years ago. I read a book called Your Hidden Food Allergies are Making You Fat and ended up taking the ALCAT test. Turned out I had developed intolerances to many "healthy" foods: chicken, apple, carrots, etc. Once I eliminated all trigger foods I was back to normal. And I'm pleased to say that I have gradually reintroduced most foods without issue. If you suspect wheat I'd say go with that theory - they say that 97% of people with celiac are undiagnosed. Looking forward to hearing your updates.