Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pain Like No Other

Friday was a fun night. A bunch of friends from my neighborhood got together and went to dinner. We hung out, ate and drank a few beers. My family had to leave to go to my oldest's basketball game. We stopped by a neighbor's house on the way home and had a glass or two of wine. When we got home, my husband and I watched Survivor. Just a fun Friday night.

Until... I started having horrible pains in my chest at about 11pm. We went to bed and I figured the pain would go away (I know... not smart). I woke up at about 1am and the pain was still horrible. I woke my husband up and told him something was seriously wrong and he needed to take me to the ER. We called a friend to take the kids and headed over. When we walked in, I told them I was having some chest pains... that gets you seen very quickly. The nurse was asking me my symptoms and said that it sounded like my gall bladder. Hmmm... that's actually what I suspected. That's also what I suspected here, when my doctor diagnosed heartburn. And after experiencing what I did on Friday night, I can say that what I experienced in February 2009 was definitely the same thing. I also had it in December 2004 when I was pregnant with my daughter.

They took some blood, gave me a pain killer (which helped A LOT) and zofran for the nausea (zofran is a wonder drug - that's what I took when I was pregnant with my youngest when I threw up all the time) and did an ultrasound. And all of that confirmed... gall bladder disease. I'm going to make an appointment with a surgeon. The one I saw back in October. At that time, the tests I had had done did not point to anything wrong with my gall bladder, other than the stones I the ultrasound I had last spring showed. He told me that it was up to me whether to have it out or not. Back then, I told myself that I wouldn't do anything until I had an attack. I just never thought it would happen so quickly.

No comments: