Monday, October 27, 2008

How Much Can You Blame on Your Parents

I'm not one to think about how much my childhood or my parents screwed up my life. I had a pretty good childhood and I have lots of fun memories from those years. When people blame their childhood for their adult problems, I think they should pretty much get over it. Of course, there are definitely circumstances where your childhood can screw you up, but I'd like to think that most people had pretty good childhoods.

Anyway... where I am going with this. My parents. My parents are both overweight. Not morbidly obese, but overweight nonetheless. And on top of that, they have some health conditions that are not helped because of being overweight. They both have high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. And my dad has adult onset diabetes. My dad definitely does not take care of himself. He's had a heart attack because of his diabetes and still that didn't change the way he treats his body. He sneaks food. And that amazes me, that a man in his mid-60's would sneak food. So much so that I try to hide any candy or cookies I have in my house when he comes over.

I want my girls to see me change the way I eat and take care of my body. I don't remember seeing my parents exercise. I do remember them dieting. My dad did the cabbage soup diet and the Richard Simmons Deal-a-Meal. He was able to drop 20 pounds fairly quickly... but would then gain it back, plus more. He's still able to do that, but it takes longer and he gains more back. My mom did Weight Watchers. I also remember her, about a year before she was turning 50, saying she didn't want to go into her 50's being fat. Yet, she did nothing to change it.

So I'm trying to change things. When I look at my parents, I see my future. And as much as I love my parents, that's not the future that I want to live.

3 comments:

Juice said...

Good post. Both of my parents are overweight as well. Not morbidly obese, but definitely larger than they need to be. The funny thing is that one time my mom actually had the nerve to say (in front of my then-boyfriend no less!) "All those years of gymnastics... I'm surprised you don't exercise more these days." As if the gymnastics classes would make up for the poor eating habits and lack of exercise they demonstrated every day. So yes, parental habits definitely DO impact your kids. I applaud you for wanting to set a healthier example for your children.

But you are also right that we cannot use our childhood as an excuse for our adulthood. I'm in my mid-30s and am quite capable of making healthy choices. I may not have had the greatest example growing up, but I have plenty of resources to help me learn a better pattern for the future!

Lisa said...

Ditto both the post and the first comment.

Jen said...

I agree, great post! My mom is much like your dad, same problems...yet does nothing about them. I am encouraged by your blog!!

www.momincali.blogspot.com